Trump Supporters’ Election Delegitimization Cycle Is Playing Out In Real Time

Wow. Pretty urgent. I have little to add but thanks for the reporting.

And this, from Bob Mould & Hüsker Dü:

“If I were to listen to the things that you say, everything would fall apart.”

In which I could be responding to almost anything Donald Trump and his like say, but most particularly, when they inveigh against institutions that must hold together lest society fall to violence and the impossibility of national recovery. People who have seen things fall apart understand.

5 Likes

And yet GQP voter fraud is uncovered again and again and again and…

7 Likes

The attacks on election results before anyone has voted says to me that Trump expects to lose.

I think and hope he is right.

8 Likes

I’m not disagreeing, but what I’d like to point out is Donnie complaining about losing the popular vote in '16 is because Donnie is delusional. It was a blow to his psyche that a majority of Americans couldn’t see his brilliance.
This quote from Alice Roosevelt Longworth could be said to be about Donnie, instead of her father.

4 Likes

Stephen Colbert, Correspondents Dinner 2006:

Now, I know there are some polls out there saying this man has a 32 percent approval rating. But guys like us, we don’t pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in reality. And reality has a well-known liberal bias … Sir, pay no attention to the people who say the glass is half empty because 32 percent means it’s two-thirds empty. There’s still some liquid in that glass, is my point. But I wouldn’t drink it. The last third is usually backwash…

4 Likes

That’s going to be a hard argument to make when all the polls on election day are Biden 60%, TFG 38%, other 2%.

2 Likes

And they are still able to justify Biden is Bad™ motivation for voting for Trump, as if der Trumpenführer is an any way actually better for anyone. Their purported lack of cognitive disonance certainly doesn’t change the irrationality of tribal “thinking.” :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

but the continuation of a larger delegitimization cycle that originated in 2020

Republicans have been peddling false information about voting integrity and poll access as a systemic strategy for decades. Trump latched onto this in 2016, claiming repeatedly that he lost the popular vote because of voting by millions of non-citizens.

Unmentioned is that Trump unceremoniously disbanded his vaunted Commission on Voting Integrity when it did not find evidence to support his claims.

3 Likes

The first article you posted regarding nc election fraud. The republican involved with that won his primary again and is the likely winner for the general.

2 Likes

And the worst part of is that said Republican then lashes out crazily and/or illegally to right the perceived wrongs, prompting resistance, backlash, or prosecution that then “proves” the conspiracy.

1 Like

Seems right to me. TFG has never once admitted the possibility of any loss, ever, and was planting the seed of “fraud” even in advance of 2016. I bet he’s still nursing the grievance of his inauguration crowd being smaller than Obama’s.

3 Likes

My wife and I just completed election judge training in Maryland. I was amazed at how secure the system is with multiple hardware/software measures to catch problems as well as the extensive human oversight and crosschecking required of both each other and the machines and ballot boxes. I walked away with an immense appreciation of and respect for MD’s election system. While it is true that many of the technical problems can be mitigated through mail-in voting, there will always be people who want to go through the process in person because it makes them feel good and is for many a community experience. I don’t know that MD has seen a mass exodus of workers. It has seen a huge influx of new people signing up. During training, the old hands were there to help us newbies figure things out and be prepared for every contingency. I’m ready to go!

10 Likes

Amanda Perobelli/Reuters, FILE
Disgraced crypto CEO Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years, must pay $11 billion

The disgraced FTX founder was sentenced Thursday following his fraud conviction.
… … … …
And trump thought he had a big fine to pay

5 Likes

Chalk one up for the GOP in Gillespie County, Texas. They decided to go it alone, run their own separate election and count all the ballots by hand. Good news, low turnout, Bad news, they made counting errors. The type of errors they reported, would never have occurred if they had used an electronic ballot generator and counter. https://www.texastribune.org/2024/03/19/texas-republican-hand-count-election/

3 Likes

aided in every way by the mainstream media doing nothing but interviewing republicans on every issue

1 Like

Thanks for your service. It’s important.

4 Likes

That’s how I feel. I am almost 80 so I still have some juice left in me. All ages and types were in the training. I might have been the oldest. It was very comforting to be with this mix of people from all party affiliations, ages, and skin colors, all there for a common goal.

2 Likes

From the article:

Elections staff printed out the spreadsheets, laid them out across four tables, and read the totals out loud, adding them up with a calculator

So, in the end they still used a “vote counting machine”… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I liked this part…

Other Republicans continue to tout the effort as a success. One of them was David Treibs, a member of the Fredericksburg Tea Party who helped lead the effort to hand count. In a video interview …Treibs acknowledged he’d made errors but said they weren’t a problem. So there were two ballots, and I just didn’t add them up. So I would have had to add 450 and two, and it would have been 452 and I didn’t. I just forgot to fill it in,” Treibs said in the video posted last week. “So I don’t really think that’s something that’s going to shut down the election and it’s like, ‘oh my gosh, he didn’t add 450 and two and come up with 452 and now that means the whole election was a failure.’ Well, that’s ridiculous.”

Yes. Indeed. Why get upset over inconsequential errors. Being a smudgy bit off in the vote totals is no big deal

“Heads I win, Tails you lose” has been the GOP election “strategy” (hate to dignify it with that term) since the advent of Trump. The Trump mentality is to take power at all costs. Democratic institutions are an inconvenience that can be dispensed with, if possible.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available