Trump Supporters’ Election Delegitimization Cycle Is Playing Out In Real Time

In the aftermath of 2020, election departments across the country experienced a massive wave of resignations from workers who had experienced threats and violence stirred up by baseless conspiracy theories.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1484569
1 Like

It’s fair to say that the average Republican these days views empirical reality as a conspiracy against him.

25 Likes

It won’t matter if Democrats win big, or by just a little bit. Either occurrence will be deemed voter fraud by Republicans. Just keep heads down, plow ahead, and have the receipts.

32 Likes

The old GOP of my 40s-50s youth is every bit the author of this anti-democratic lie. These hypocrites were screaming about stolen elections in the 1890s.

16 Likes

Well said!

4 Likes

My view is a little different; it’s more like the average Republican has perfected the art of compartmentalizing to avoid cognitive dissonance.

Something like 40% of R’s in recent polls say they don’t believe that the 2020 election was stolen, but most of this group will vote for Trump anyway, because they don’t want another four years of Biden as President.

14 Likes

I am still fascinated by the Republican response in the aftermath of Jan 6. First horror and denunciation. Until it slowly dawned on them that if Mike Pence had abandoned the Capitol and Chuck Grassley had taken over his duties, the Green Bay sweep could have succeeded. Since that epiphany ,they clearly have no intention of seeing 2024 decided by anyone other than the Supreme Council.

14 Likes

IIRC, Donnie actually started this BS in 2016, even though he won: projecting Ïraud ahead of the vote and attributing Hillary’s win in the popular vote to illegal voters.
It seems to have been baked in the mix all along.

13 Likes

Yes.
Trump’s resuscitating of “Stop the Steal!” smells both of Roger Stone’s use of the same slogan well before the 2020 election and, as well, of desperation on Trump’s part.

(There’s also a joke in here somewhere of his using that slogan now being analogous to premature ejaculation, but I can’t quite make it work.)

6 Likes

FWIW the GOP was busily stealing elections in the 1890s…well, 1888.

5 Likes

I believe it was Paul Krugman who pointed out that reality has a liberal bias.
Is it any wonder reactionaries don’t like it (excepting when it’s ‘the hard realities’ some disfavored group has to learn to live with?) (punct. ed.)

10 Likes

Reality does have a well-known liberal bias.

7 Likes

Roger Stone. Has Nixon’s face tattooed on his body. Still hates Democrats because he believes the 1960 election was stolen from Nixon.

9 Likes

Insurrectionists, whether highly visible or less visible, are still insurrectionists.

12 Likes

Were they not the ones who gave us two Dakotas with that goal in mind?
Although, in all fairnesses, I’m not gonna brush off the action of political machines (both parties) or the way southern Democrats systematically terrorized and disenfranchised African American voters.

8 Likes

Reality does have a well known Liberal bias.
Republicans want to speak with the manager and get it canceled (End times worship).

6 Likes

Yeppers. Three additional EV beyond what they would have had by admitting Dakota territory as a single state…which was then a pretty questionable move (and remains questionable today, IMO).

10 Likes

:100: :100: :100:

2 Likes

Our message to Republicans should be:

If you don’t believe the elections are fair, then why bother voting at all? Go back into your prepper caves and wait for White Jesus to come bail you out.

12 Likes

The Big Lie is alive and well. Vote Blue!

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available